Careful planning assists teachers in gathering meaningful assessment information about individual students though group tasks and projects.
- Although the students are working on a group project, teachers ensure their assessment evidence is gathered from each student’s individual contribution.
- Note how the teacher involves students in determining characteristics of effective contribution to the group.
- Students are given opportunities to practice a skill prior to being assessed.
- Although it might be considered an efficient strategy, why is it inappropriate to assign a group grade to individual students?
- Select a project where group grades have previously been assigned. What modifications might be made so as to gather assessment evidence from individual students?