A teacher at McNally High School in Edmonton discusses the essential role of collaboration in developing a common understanding of standards.
- In Alberta, programs of study identify what teachers are to teach.
- Other documents, particularly at the Grade 12 level, identify the expected standard of performance.
- For grade levels and subjects where standards documents do not exist, teacher collaboration, along with the program of studies and samples of student work, can support teachers to achieve consistency in assessing student products.
- What benefits might students experience when teachers collaborate to determine standards?
- What structures need to be in place to support this collaborative work at our school?