FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT SUMMER EVENT (FASE)
July 19 - 23, 2021 | via Zoom
This week-long event promises to IGNITE and INSPIRE
your cognitive and emotional engagement
with formative and authentic assessment practices!
Bonus! Register before April 30, 2021 and receive a PDF copy of the AAC resource 'Building Better Rubrics'. Register a group of 4 or more and receive a 5% discount.
Fee: $250 AAC Members ($300 Non-members) – includes all five days
Each morning, from 9am to noon, participants can expect:
1. An AAC-led Formative and Authentic Assessment Bootcamp
2. An hour with Sam Kary presenting leading-edge tech tools to support the common functions of student engagement (adapted from Fisher, Frey, and Hattie, 2021) of finding information, using information, creating information, and sharing information for actionable feedback.
Sam will also provide you with assessment design-challenges that will require participants to update their current classroom assessments adhering to:
- formative assessment principles
- authentic assessment characteristics, and
- incorporating tech tools that support functions of student engagement.
3. Sam and AAC consultant’s coaching and feedback to guide you as you update your own assessments, providing opportunities for:
- collaborative practice and design time,
- self-reflection, and
- peer feedback.
In the afternoons, from noon - 5pm,
the AAC Zoom room classroom and AAC resources will be available to participants to continue their collaborative design time.
As you work through the week,
updating your classroom assessments, you (or you and your partners) will be building a toolkit and ePortfolio of assessment tools and exemplars. On the last day of the week, you and your colleagues will showcase toolkits and ePortfolios to Sam and other outside guests! These toolkits and ePortfolios will be openly shared amongst all session participants, providing everyone with the group’s collective knowledge.
Digital badges and course completion certificates will be awarded
to all session participants who fully participate and submit their toolkit and ePortfolio.
Guest Speaker Biography
Sam Kary is a Humanities Middle School teacher, Google for Education Certified Trainer, and National Geographic Certified Educator. Sam began teaching ten years ago as a Teach for America corps member in Richmond, CA. He has also worked as Lead Instructional Coach at Breakthrough Collaborative in SF.
Over the years Sam has experimented with numerous education technology programs in order to engage students in higher order thinking. He believes students learn best when they are provided with the right tools and guidance to analyze, evaluate, collaborate, and create. His teaching practice is deeply informed by the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework as well as the SAMR model of technology integration.
Sam is passionate about sharing ideas and best practices for implementing education technology with other educators. He started The New EdTech Classroom to bring that passion to life through video tutorials, live show, and blog entries about using instructional technology.